Monday, September 7, 2009

Mambo Post

Oh, I cannot tell you how much I missed the blogosphere, but it was awfully nice to road trip for the better part of a week! Wheeee!

Before delving a bit into my little journey, I want to send out a super-sized thank you to Laura at katydid designs for my Favourite Things swap package! It was swell to return home to a package chock full of surprises. Some of Laura's favourites:


On Monday, I headed to Dad and Carol's place, north of Belleville. It take me about 2.5 hours to get there and the bitch of it is getting through Toronto. Thanks to the option of leaving when I wanted (not during rush hour!) and the 407 Electronic Toll Route, I sailed through.

Carol and I hit the thrift store on Monday afternoon and I made out like a bandit. I know I said I wouldn't thrift for awhile, but isn't life too short? My damage:
  • Turquoise vintage throw ($6.00!)
  • Calvin Klein grey cords ($3.00!)
  • Zara grey jeans ($3.00!)
  • A pair of jeans that are "eh" (will donate back!)
  • A dressy sleeveless top with a leafy print ($1.00!)
  • A super cute bag with wooden handles ($1.00!)
  • 3 silky scarves ($0.50 each!)
  • 1 pair of Naturalizer black ballet flats with buckle detail ($3.50!)

Hmmm. I think that's it. Anyhoo, I took Carol to her foot surgery on Wednesday and she did very well! It sounds like she is also making a very good recovery. I want to also thank Carol again for the lot of vintage buttons she picked for me at an Ottawa yard sale. Score!


On Thursday morning, Cecilia the Mutt and I headed east to Mum and Dan's to stay until Sunday. Mum and Dan have a renovated cottage (a cottage no longer, actually!) in the village of Seeley's Bay, north of Kingston.


Mum and I always have the best time. We tour the countryside and our usual haunts are Gananoque and Westport. We, of course, had to have a supper feast of House of Dragon Chinese food...oh my. The deep fried bacon-wrapped butterfly tiger shrimp are to die for. Nom, nom, nom!

In Westport, I picked up this neat-o pendant that has miniature reproduction of a vintage postcard, one on each side. I am kicking myself for not getting the name of the artist/maker.


At Kilborn's in Newboro (en route to Westport) I made this perfume/brand discovery: Lollia. I had to buy the mini version of Wish perfume. Mmmmmm!

Sitting on the deck with a great cup of coffee and watching the Labour Day weekend boat traffic go up and down the Rideau was fantastic. And I think it goes without saying: fall is upon us. In the air, the sun is low and the leaves are a-changin':

I picked some acorns from Mum & Dan's property, nicely thrown to the ground by Mr. Red Squirrel. I think I'll clear lacquer them and display them somewhere...
Great to be back! I cannot wait to catch up on your blogs!
Ciao for now!
a

3 comments:

essbesee said...

score! score~! SCORE! You did great! Love that postcard pendant especially. Welcome back! and yes, have you down for da swap.

cheatymoon said...

How did they shrink that postcard so small!?
Great finds!

Laura Bray said...

I did a post about your swap package today! Sorry it took so long! http://katydiddys.blogspot.com/2009/09/these-are-few-of-my-favorite-things.html Thanks again for the great goodies!